· Site Help
· Web Links
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Deep Space NYC: Message Board

Deep Space NYC :: View topic - NI Traktor Kontrol S4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NI Traktor Kontrol S4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Deep Space NYC Forum Index -> General Music Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaapseKlops
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: NI Traktor Kontrol S4 Reply with quote

Hello all! I am in the market for a quality digital setup. I had a look at FKs digi setup and although it might be of grade A sound quality, the reality for me is that I need something to plug in quickly, with ease and with no disruption when playing out. Im drawn towards the NI Traktor Kontrol S4. Does anyone here have experience using this unit?

Many thank yooos!
~andre
FK
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: NI Traktor Kontrol S4 Reply with quote

KaapseKlops wrote:
Hello all! I am in the market for a quality digital setup. I had a look at FKs digi setup and although it might be of grade A sound quality, the reality for me is that I need something to plug in quickly, with ease and with no disruption when playing out. Im drawn towards the NI Traktor Kontrol S4. Does anyone here have experience using this unit?

Many thank yooos!
~andre

Started using it on some gigs myself, and I have been extremely happy with it so far. Pretty great piece actually, well-designed, solid feel, it just requires a fair amount of learning for those who truly want to master the looping functionality. But not everyone may want to use up to eight eight layers of loops on top of two decks playing.
Marius
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you're only using it as a controller FK, and still use your Fireface sound card?
FK
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marius wrote:
I presume you're only using it as a controller FK, and still use your Fireface sound card?

I actually decided to give it a whirl as a soup-to-nuts replacement, and to my great delight, it has been performing really well at 24-bit/96 kHz

Haven't pushed latency below 6ms yet, so being very conservative. But the build is really good, and it makes a lot of sense to have everything together like this, rather than all of these separate bits. Quicker setups, less messy wires.

Only issues I can see is that it's a bit big, (still fits in a 22" carry-on suitcase, but probably not for European flights) and I have to get used to the idea of just dealing with internal mixing, which means no efx on aux sends, just the insert business.

I mean, I can split the headphone jack as a send, haven't yet tried bringing something back into the S4 from an external source such as an EFX unit's output. But I think that it is possible to assign one of the external inputs to one of the decks and be able to use that as an efx return.

FK
KaapseKlops
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the insight FK! it is making me more at ease to purchase one. i like the idea of the multiple looping and feel it's going to change the face of DJing a bit. so much more freedom with songs - very liberating! it is very big though i must agree, which means finding the space in some DJ booths quite challenging. But the all-in-one nature of this is really appealing...
Marius
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size is what's putting me off. Still holding out for the "S2", which I presume will surface at some point. I find four decks to be a bit overkill for my use. Yes, three decks would be nice, but having the choice between the S4 with it's size and something smaller with only two, I'll be happy with just the two.

Re. the effects: do you manage to achieve satisfying results with the built in effects? Discussed this with Jeff a few weeks ago. Delay's okay, but I find the reverb a bit rubbish, since I don't manage to get it loud enough to create decent stabs (when used in internal mode).
ttauri
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marius wrote:
but I find the reverb a bit rubbish, since I don't manage to get it loud enough to create decent stabs (when used in internal mode).

I really hated when they tamed the possible reverb level with the transition from 3.2 to 3.3. rant2 (Even though it didn't really sound too good, was workable for me)

Peece,
T. Tauri
Marius
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember you complaining about it at the time. Did however not use it much myself at the time. I think 3.2 was the first version of Traktor I used, so hadn't delved very deep into it.
DJGordy
Galactic Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tweet, Jeff! To be honest, I haven't had a lot of time to play with my S4 since I bought it, but so far I'm very happy with it. Great build quality and everything in one box are big plus points for me, and I haven't run into any problems with it so far. I'd definitely recommend it Very Happy
boderekstits
Star Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Traktor with external mixing on turntables, and the Kontrol X1. I find the effects to be pretty damn good. I like the Reverb T3. Not sure, but are there any external effects units that have good reverb? I used to use a Korg mini-Kaoss and the reverb was pretty quiet and not that great.

In fact the only effects unit I feel is worth a damn is the Pioneer EFX 1000.
Marius
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until something really appealing comes along, I'll just use this (for home use that is):

Link

Jan Erik's Vestax controller will work for playing out.
Marius
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until something really appealing comes along, I'll just use this (for home use that is):

Link

(Boring setup video, but was the one I found for now)

Jan Erik's Vestax controller will work for playing out.
ttauri
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boderekstits wrote:
Not sure, but are there any external effects units that have good reverb? I used to use a Korg mini-Kaoss and the reverb was pretty quiet and not that great.

In fact the only effects unit I feel is worth a damn is the Pioneer EFX 1000.

Any number of rackmount effects processors will have better reverb, but you lose the ease of DJ-specific interfaces for performance. Not sure why effects for the DJ market do such a disservice to reverb.... S'weird.

Peece,
T. Tauri
FK
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttauri wrote:
Not sure why effects for the DJ market do such a disservice to reverb.... S'weird. Peece, T. Tauri

Possibly because reverb is one of the most processor-intensive, complex DSP calculations, and that needs lots of available CPU cycles to sound reasonably good?
ttauri
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FK wrote:
Possibly because reverb is one of the most processor-intensive, complex DSP calculations, and that needs lots of available CPU cycles to sound reasonably good?

My bar is set lower than yours, I think. I would be impressed--compared to the current state of DJ effects reverb--by the inclusion of a reverb comparable to what might be found on a guitar multi-effect pedal, I think.

T Pro's isn't even that bad to me, except for the polite volume on internal.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Deep Space NYC Forum Index -> General Music Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: