· Site Help
· Web Links
· Your Account

Login
Nickname

Password

Security Code: Security Code
Type Security Code

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Deep Space NYC: Message Board

Deep Space NYC :: View topic - Demand and supply & eventual price of the re-edit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demand and supply & eventual price of the re-edit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Deep Space NYC Forum Index -> General Music Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaapseKlops
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Demand and supply & eventual price of the re-edit Reply with quote

I must admit that the re-edit trend of the past decade has really given a new lease on life for some classic songs. I especially connect with the re-edit work of Danny Krivit, Victor Rosado (the East End stuff), the Italian going by the name Nicholas and a few things on the G.A.M.M. label from Sweden. Nice very good for musical stuff! Maybe you guys could name a few other class and musical re-editors for me to listen to.

I would like to highlight the work of Todd Terje in this respect. I feel that Todd has created a body of re-edit work that has consistently impressed me - whether it be a quirky rock classic or a great soul hit. I am however a bit taken aback at the prices of Todd’s re-edit work. I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Far away from the bustling dance scene of the world. I still play vinyl and import my records from all over. I pay for music and don’t believe in pirating, but the price of a Todd Terje re-edit (including the cost to have it shipped to me…) is really driving me to sail the high seas as a rouge… The irony is, I know that it is not the artist making the money here. For example, you can pick up a Moodymann record from Moody’s site for about $15. Try buying the same record at a record store or on ebay…
I’m also fully aware of the ‘bootleg’ nature of re-edit work, resulting in limited runs etc. However, let’s get real with the pricing…

Anyone know where i can find Todd's re-edit back catalogue at reasonable rates...?

thanks!!
KaapseKlops
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theo Parrish's Ugly Edits is another good example of prices spiralling out of wack...!
FK
Master Of The Universe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no question in my mind that for anyone who wants to purchase vinyl there's going to be a major re-adjustment in terms of price that just can't be avoided.

The economy of scale when people were manufacturing in batches of 10,000 and more has disappeared, and pressing up a run of 300 makes the set-up costs that much more expensive being shared among so few units. As well the initial hoarding / selling on Discogs at high prices is impossible to prevent.

I have often said that the price of a vinyl 12" will eventually settle between $30 and $50 a piece. It's a collector's piece for a limited market, and there are no incentives for people to keep producing them if they cannot even make their money back at current prices.

Like it or not, this in my mind is going to be the coming reality of owning new vinyl that comes out in such limited quantities that they are comparable to a limited edition lithography. A work of art... which is what some would argue it should be.

Argue away!
KaapseKlops
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not really an argument, more a frustration and quiet fear. As a tiny record label myself, I am fully aware of the trials of keeping the art of old alive, economies of scale and generally moving on with the times. And adjust as the trend fully takes shape I will. However I am referring to the re-sale hoarders who take advantage of suckers like myself for lousy profit…!

Also growing up so far away from things, as well as being politically isolated for most of my life, I’ve had to adapt to the scarcity of music available on vinyl. It did however make me more resourceful and my playlists or dj sets were and still remain pleasantly unique. But with the internet age the world grew smaller and for once I had a taste of what is out there – until this barrier that is. Naïve of me I know, but if there is such a big demand for the work of some artists, why don’t they just press more records? That will keep more of the equation happy, wont it…?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Deep Space NYC Forum Index -> General Music Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: